How do you keep your balance while riding a bike? Why do certain things smell and taste so good? How does our brain keep all the parts of our body doing their jobs, while still allowing us to learn and remember new things? The answer to these, and many more, questions, can be answered by learning about the nervous system. This group of organs is so important because it controls all the other systems in our body. There is just no way we’d be able to survive without it. In this section, we’ll talk about the most important organs of the nervous system, how they work, and what happens if they don’t work.
- The parts of the brain, and what each part does
- The structure and function of nerve cells
- How messages are passed from the body to the brain and back to the body
- How the sense organs allow us to see, hear, touch, smell, taste and keep our balance
- The causes and symptoms of some common diseases of the nervous system